I was able to pick up a 10 pound bag of Russet Potatoes at ALDI recently for just $1.29. This is such a rare and incredible price. I’m happy to find them for $1.99 or less but the $1.29 was just completely irresistible. It was a great opportunity to whip up a huge batch of this delicious baked potato chowder to freeze. ALDI also has dried parsley and basil, which makes it easy to make this recipe if you don’t want to purchase fresh herbs.
This recipe is based on on the Baked Potato Chowder recipe from the Fix, Freeze, Feast, which I’m loving! This huge batch makes 4 gallon freezer bag portions, which feeds about 4 people.
- 10 pounds russet potatoes, baked
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 12 cups water
- 4 cups half and half
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes and cool.
- Scoop out flesh in the potatoes and set aside. You can discard the skins or save them for another use like potato skins with cheese and green onion.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add parsley, basil, bouillon, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Gradually add water, half and half, and potato.
- Stir often for around 30 minutes.
- Fold in cheese until melted.