We are trying to cut out the bad carbs and eat healthier. I really hate giving up all my salty potato friends. However, these Baked Sweet Potato Fries are a easy and tasty substitute. You can use olive oil or coconut oil, either one will work. I tried it with both and didn’t have any complaints on either variety. Just remember, a little oil goes a long way so use sparingly.
I was already a fan of sweet potato fries but didn’t know they would be so easy to make at home. Well, minus the blood and all (see below). Sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates like dietary fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. They are also low on the glycemic index, which means it will take longer for your body to digest these foods and thus you will feel fuller longer.
Be CAREFUL slicing – don’t try to slice off your thumb like I did! :) Blood gushing everywhere in the middle of cutting. Felt like I was on a episode of Vampire Diaries. Ya know, every episode someone cuts themselves while cooking. Well, that person would always be me.
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
- olive oil or coconut oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Peel your sweet potatoes. Cut off the ends to make it easier to slice.
- Slice into sticks about a ¼" thick.
- Toss in a large bowl with your oil, salt & pepper. If you are using coconut oil, make sure to warm the oil up before trying to toss! ;) I don't measure anything so I start with a small amount and add as needed. Just remember, a little oil goes a long way.
- Place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 20 minutes or so until crispy and delicious!