Many people are cutting back on travel due to the economy, I know we canceled our normal Florida Spring Break trip because of uncertainty in the construction industry.We have been looking for something to do for a couple of days or a long weekend. Something family friendly AND wallet friendly!
While at Blissdom 2009 (are you sick of hearing about that yet?), I met a few folks who had great things to say about Asheville, NC. The Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau has launched a special “micro site” called CoolAshevilleSavings.com. It is FILLED with money saving tips, lists of FREE things to do, special offers, and coupons you can use during your trip. They even have a list of the hotels with FREE breakfast. That’s the only kind of hotel I want to stay at.
Here’s a sampling of just a few FREE or inexpensive family activities:
- As part of the creation of Biltmore Estate, Chief Forester Dr. Carl Schenck created the first forestry school in America – now the Cradle of Forestry. Hands-on exhibits and learning opportunities are abundant in the Forest Discovery Center. It’s free on Tuesdays for everyone and free for youth 15 years and younger throughout the year.
- The Pisgah Center of Wildlife Education features exhibits about wildlife and habitats in the North Carolina mountains. You can even feed some of the mountain trout!
- You will want to visit the Mast General Store in downtown Asheville. The kids (and adults) will love the old fashioned candy in the candy barrels.
- Water Fall Adventures
One really cool promotion is the Go Blue Ridge Card. It is like all pass card. For one low price you get admission to top attractions like (there are many many more in addition to these!):
- Whitewater Rafting
- Smoky Mountain Jet Boats
- Grandfather Mountain
- Chimney Rock Park
- Linville Caverns
- Tweetsie Railroad
- Gray Line Trolley Tours of Asheville
- Wine Tasting
The Blue Ridge card also comes with a FREE full color guidebook, VIP savings on shopping & dining. You can purchase 2, 3, or 5 day passes depending on how you are visiting.
Bargain Tip: You can purchase Go Card are available in other cities. So check out smartdestinations.com before you plan your next trip.
I have a funny story about the Biltmore. Many years ago, my parents and I were on our way home from a family reunion. I really wanted to go to the Biltmore after seeing pictures my mom had taken on a previous trip with just her and dad. My dad would not backtrack so we could go. So needless to say, to this day, I have still not seen this beautiful palace.
We are still undecided as to our travel plans. Maybe will do nothing over Spring Break. Kind of flying by the seat of our pants this year! For more insider tips about Asheville visit the Asheville Travel Blog.
So what is in it for you?
Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau is going to give one lucky reader (2) Go Blue Ridge Cards and piece of Appalachian Pottery, a local artist shop. You will get your pottery before your trip – so get a little piece of Asheville before you leave.
How to Win?
Easy Entry: Visit Explore Asheville, sign up for their E Newsletter, and post a comment on what you would look most forward to doing in Asheville. (While you are at it – sign up for their RSS feed too! Trust me, you will want to do this to get all the latest scoop from their blog! It is updated regularly with ongoing happenings and seasonal events!)
Bonus entries (Up to 4 additional entries):
- Leave me a comment with a budget travel tip.
- Blog about this giveaway.
- Grab my button. (It is on my sidebar)
- Subscribe to my free newsletter via email or RSS. (You don’t want to miss out on any deals/giveaways!!!)
- Digg, Technorati, Twitter, Stumble, etc. If you twitter, be sure to include me (@bargainbriana) in the twitter so it see it.
Leave a separate comment for each extra entry. It is very important that you leave a separate comment for each additional extra entry.
Ends around 3/6 at 11:59 EST. (As long as you can still comment you can enter!) Winner, chosen by random.org, will be announced on the Giveaway Winners Page by 03/07/09 and I will contact you. (If winner doesn’t respond to my email within 48 hours, I will pick another winner.)
Want to win more? Enter to win the rest of my current giveaways!