My absolute favorite soup of all time is Panera’s Broccoli and Cheese. I don’t even care if its hot outside if I am going to Panera I am going to have a cup, or bowl.. or tub. It’s pretty pricey, however, and not always convenient especially when you live in a rural area. Now that the weather is cooling off soup is going to be a main staple in my house, why not stock up on my favorite?
After a few tries this is about as good as it gets, this is truly very close to Panera’s version. Make a double batch, have some for dinner, and freeze the leftovers, ha ha not likely, maybe you better triple it. To freeze, allow leftover soup to cool completely and spoon into freezer bags, press out as much air as you can and seal bag, lay flat in freezer for optimum space. Don’t forget to label the bag with contents and date. To reheat pull bag from freezer, allow it to thaw in fridge, simmer over low in saucepan until heated through.
In a large pot or dutch oven, sautee onion in olive oil, set aside.
Whisk in butter and flour, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in half and half and chicken stock or vegetable stock like I do! :)
Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add carrots, broccoli, and onions.
Simmer, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in cheese until melted, add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable stock!)
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ cup water
- 1-8 oz. bag sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, sautee onion in olive oil, set aside.
- Whisk in butter and flour, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and chicken stock.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, broccoli, and onions.
- Simmer, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese until melted, add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
This post was linked at Thrifty Thursday over at Living Well Spending Less!