I hope you have been enjoying our Freezer to Lunchbox series! This is our last and final post for now in this series on lunchbox meals that go beyond the peanut butter sandwich. Better yet, these meals are freezable so you can cook ahead of time and save yourself time and money!
A childhood favorite for even the pickiest of eaters, mini corndogs are easy and fun to eat. But, let’s cut out some of the unpronounceable ingredients, shall we? There are hot dogs available that are less processed and lower in sodium. However, they are more expensive and sometimes not as tasty as a good old all American beef frank. So, I prefer to consider these part of my 80/20 rule -that is to eat good 80% of the time and reasonably the other 20%. These are good for an occasional lunch treat, delicious and while not deep fried they are reminiscent of fair food-betcha can’t eat just one.
- Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 6 hot dogs cut into 4 pieces each
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Spray mini muffin tin with nonstick spray
- Combine corn muffin mix, egg, milk, and sugar.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each “bowl” halfway with corn muffin mixture.
- Place 1 piece of a hot dog in each one.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges turn golden brown.
- Use a butter knife to loosen edges all the way around.
- Remove from pan.
- Place a wooden skewer or lollipop stick in center if desired.
- Don’t forget the ketchup or mustard for dipping!