If you love Key Lime Pie, you will love these Key Lime Cupcakes. It starts with a simple white cake mix, add the ingredients per the cake mix box and 1/2 cup lime juice. I use freshly squeezed lime juice for an extraordinary taste.
Homemade frosting is easy to whip up, tastes so much better than store bought, and can be customized to any flavor you want. For the frosting, we add lime juice and zest and a few drops of food coloring to add even more lime taste to these delicious Key Lime cupcakes!
You can juice your limes by hand or to get the most out of our your limes, use a lime juicer like this Food Star Lime Squeezer.
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- +box ingredients
- ½ cup Lime Juice
- 1 cup Butter
- 6 cup Powdered Sugar
- 6 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 1 drop Green Food Coloring
- Make batter according to box EXCEPT replace ½ cup of water with ½ cup lime juice.
- Fill liners about ½ full.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack.
- Cream butter in a large bowl.
- Add lime juice and food coloring.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add lime zest and whip until distributed.
- Transfer to piping bag to frost cupcakes.