As part of the 2013 goals and resolutions, I’m working on cooking with ingredients we already have on hand in our pantry and freezer. I haven’t done a Meal Plan Monday post in years (March 15, 2009 to be specific) and thought I’d start back up! However, instead of telling you what we are going to eat for the week, I’m going to tell you what I cooked last week. Otherwise, it’s just a little much when people we personally know tell the kids what we are having for dinner and it’s too much pressure to stick to that schedule!
Wow, I can’t believe I missed a couple weeks updating this list! I cooked a ton at home during the month of January and I’m continuing to do so in February too. I’m trying to build up a nice freezer stockpile bit by bit as I know our next couple of months are going to be insanely hectic with high school tennis, spring soccer, middle school track, pee wee baseball, and golf! Not to even mention end of the school stuff!
In this two week time period, I did have to run to the grocery store to get more produce items, bread, milk, and shredded cheese! Have to keep that shredded cheese in stock as the kids love to make quesadillas and nachos after school. We also made a Sam’s club run to get additional sugar, flour, and bottle sports drinks. We save quite a bit by keeping these in stock instead of the kids getting them at their games or at school.
Here’s our meal plan from the last couple of weeks using items from our pantry:
- Mostly school lunches for this time period as the kids were burnt out on sandwiches….a few turkey & PB&J sandwiches, grapes, and applesauce on the days they did take their lunch
(Remember this is a couple week’s worth of meals!)
- Potato Soup
- BBQ sandwiches from freezer (thanks to my mother in law!)
- Enchiladas (chicken & vegetarian) & Cheese Quesadillas
- Herb & Mint Bow Tie Pasta + Salad
- Alfredo & Noodles
- Spinach Lasagna Rollups
- Turkey (ALDI roaster turkey) & Potatoes
- Pizza Calzones
- Lasagna (half sausage/half vegetarian) – we’ve used all our lasagna noodles now!
- Taco Night
- Crockpot Salisberry Steak (used cream of mushroom from the pantry and remaining chicken broth!)
- Crockpot Baked Potatoes
- Chicken BBQ sandwiches with homemade BBQ sauce (The kids said the sauce was too sweet. If you know my kids, then it meant it was super sweet because they are sweet-a-holics.)
- Tofu marinated in Tastefully Simple Pomegranate Chipotle Sauce with rice & steamed vegetables
- Cereal, oatmeal, eggs (thanks Aunt Jane for the delicious farm fresh eggs!), sausage, bacon, Strawberry Cream & Chocolate muffins, pancakes, chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon braided roll from Jessica Fisher’s book – Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook.
This is how we did from the pantry this week! How did you do?
View the Recipe Index for a complete list of recipes. For the most recent vegetarian recipes posted on the blog, go here. To view all the recipes post on the blog, go here. This post is part of OrgJunkie.com Meal Plan Monday linky.