Summer is almost over for many of us and school has started or will be starting shortly. For my family, school starts this week and we are always looking for ways to save money and time during this hectic period. I’m happy to announce in partnership with Nestlé, I’m bringing you some money saving and time saving tips using some of my favorite Nestlé products.
Let’s start with lunch.
As the price for school lunches increase each year, you can save money by packing a your child’s lunch a couple of days of the week. Skip the prepackaged lunches and create your own healthy alternative. NestleFamily.com has many fun lunch ideas such as Sports Time Lunch Fun to get your creative juices going.
We don’t pack a lunch everyday but we try to do it 1-2 times a week during the school year. During the summer is actually when we make lunches for day camp on a daily basis. To save time, I like to buy a combination of prepackaged items for convenience as well as buy in bulk and make my own smaller packages.
For example, I will buy Juicy Juice in individual packages for those quick mornings when we are scrambling to pack a quick lunch – which is most mornings. For those days when I have actually planned their lunch, I will pack their juice in a sports bottle to save money as it is less expensive to buy Juice in a larger package than the convenient individual size juices.
To the right is a typical lunch, which feeds both of my school aged children. This particular meal was packed during Summer Day Camp so for convenience I packed some of their items together for them to share. The big bottle of Juicy Juice was not packed but shown as an example for what is in the sports bottle.
- Get the best deal on lunch box items by combining sales and coupons. Stock up when they are at their lowest price. Stack with Mail in Rebates and other store loyalty programs.
- Skip prepackaged chips, cookies, and other snacks unless convenience dictates otherwise. Buy larger packages and use snack size containers or bags to make your own small portions.
- Use reusable containers and utensils for lunch storage whenever possible.
- Freeze your child’s beverage to act as a freezer pack to save space in the lunchbox.
- Sneak a fun treat like Raisinets in your child’s lunch for a fun surprise!
My absolute best investment for lunch making, was the Cut n Seal from Pampered Chef. This allows me to make our own crust free sandwiches. The kid’s favorite is peanut butter with jelly but you can use this tool to make any type of sandwich. It makes it a little more fun for the little ones and you can freeze these and use as needed! Stock up on bread when at a low price and make a batch of these to save time and money.
To save time, I like to go ahead and make up enough sandwiches and “sides” for the week. Then the kids can pick and choose which items they want for the day, which allows them a little control over their lunches. Items not needing refrigerated such as crackers, chips, snack cookies can be pre-bagged by you for your own convenience.
So in addition to these money/time saving tips, Nestlé is offering a $500 Walmart Gift Card to (1) lucky Bargain Briana reader to help with your Back to School Expenses. Plus, stay tuned for more Back to School money saving/time saving tips!
How to Win?
Easy Entry: Share your favorite Back to School Money Saving Tip by leaving it on this post as a comment.
Bonus entries (Up to 4 additional entries):
- Blog about this giveaway.
- Tweet: BTS Money/Time Saving Tips from @bargainbriana + Enter to Win $500 Walmart Giftcard: http://tinyurl.com/mmsdqe #nestleBTS
- Grab my button. (It is on my sidebar)
- Subscribe to my free newsletter via email or RSS. (You don’t want to miss out on any deals/giveaways!!!)
- Use my “Tell a Friend” Widget to share with a friend via email, Stumble, Digg, etc.
Leave a separate comment for each extra entry. It is very important that you leave a separate comment for each additional extra entry.
Ends around 8/28 at 11:59 EST. (As long as you can still comment you can enter!) Winner, chosen by random.org, will be announced on the Giveaway Winners Page by 08/29/09 and I will contact you shortly. (If winner doesn’t respond to my email within 48 hours, I will pick another winner.)
Want to win more? Enter to win the rest of my current giveaways!
Bargain Briana Giveaway Disclosure: This is a sponsored giveaway by Nestle. All reviews/recommendations are based on my own honest opinion and experiences and not edited or written by the sponsor.