If you are a looking for a easy and delicious slow cooker oatmeal recipe, this one is the one for you. Easily customizable to fit everyone in your household’s oatmeal tastes. I used Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. Do not try to use quick oats or any other kind of oats. Only steel cut will work for a slow cooker recipe. Believe me, I tried it before! Purchase from Amazon or via VitaCost ($10 off $10 coupon).
Not only is this delicious, steel-cut oats are much healthier. Rolled oats are produced by mashing the oat groat into a thin sheet, which breaks down the fiber. Steel-cut oats are simply cut into two or three pieces. Thus, they take longer to digest than rolled oats because they are more complex and have less factory processing.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of milk
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Toppings per taste - ie, brown sugar, maple sugar, agave syrup, raisins, blueberries, walnuts, apples etc.
- Combine steel cut oats, water, and sea salt in slow cooker.
- Cook overnight or for around 8 hours on low.
- In the morning you may need to add a little milk if it is too thick.
- Add flavoring in the morning. I added ¼ cup of brown sugar and ¼ cup of maple sugar to make my son's favorite flavor. I added walnuts and blueberries to mine.