Back to school also means back to sharing germs! According to a recent study, nearly 22 million school days are lost each year due to the common cold and flu. So it is natural that there is a concern about germs.
Seventh Generation is sharing tips from a familiar name for many of us, Dr. Alan Green, who is a best selling author and pediatrician. Dr. Greene suggests taking the following precautions:
Optimize the immune system
- Reap the benefits of probiotics like those found in yogurt. A recent study showed that children who received enough probiotics daily throughout the cold and flu season had a significant reduction in the number of illnesses they had and, when they did get sick, the symptoms were both milder and didn’t last as long.
- Be sure your child is getting plenty of vitamin D from the sun, from food, or from a supplement. (I was amazed to find out I had a Vitamin D deficiency as I thought I was pretty healthy! So now I’m taking a super supplement to help get my levels stabilized!)
- Build a strong foundation. Good food, good sleep, and good physical activity all help the immune system to flourish.
Be wise about reducing unnecessary exposure to harmful germs
- Teach children the key times to clean their hands in the classroom. The most important times include after sneezing, coughing or using the restroom, upon leaving “high-risk” places (recess, naptime, play stations) and before meals or snacks.
- Sixty percent of teachers surveyed said that they request that parents donate disinfecting wipes to the classroom. Seventh Generation’s disinfecting wipes kill 99.99% of germs naturally using the active ingredient thyme, a component of thyme oil which is derived from the herb thyme.
- Stress the importance of not touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Demonstrate to your children how to cover their mouth and nose for every cough and sneeze. This simple maneuver has spectacular results in decreasing the spread of viruses and bacteria floating about the room, waiting to be inhaled.
The Seventh Generation Wipes are probably my favorite item as they are so handy to have in the bathroom and aren’t packed full of unnecessary chemicals like other brands. I think the paper towels and tissues are a little too stiff for my liking.
Would you like to try these for yourself?
Seventh Generation through My Blog Spark has provided me an additional Seventh Generation “Back-to-School” kit for one lucky Bargain Briana reader! It will include (1) Seventh Generation backpack, (2) Seventh Generation Disinfecting Wipes, disinfecting multi-surface spray cleaner, facial tissue, and paper towel.
How to Win?
You can enter up to 5 times with the following methods:
1. Leave a comment with how you keep your house clean during the school year!
3. Tweet the following on Twitter:
@bargainbriana is giving away a @SeventhGen Back to School Cleaning Kit http://bit.ly/c8RzZD #myblogspark
4. Subscribe to my free newsletter via email or RSS. You must confirm your email subscription for it to be a valid entry. If you are already a subscriber, leave a comment letting me know you are already subscribed.
5. Place BargainBriana.com on your blogroll or place the Bargain Briana button on your sidebar.
Please leave a comment for each additional entry.
Giveaway ends 8/17 /2010 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner will be chosen by random. Be sure firstname.lastname@example.org is in your safe sender list as you don’t want to miss the email if you are the chosen winner. If winner doesn’t respond to my email within 48 hours, I will pick another winner. U.S. Entries only.
Seventh Generation through My Blog Spark provided this giveaway and products to giveaway in order for me to facilitate this review. Post was written 100% by me and was not edited by the sponsor. Read more on my Disclosure Policy.
Want to win more? Enter to win the rest of my current giveaways!