If you are planning an “Under the Sea” or a sea creature party, these cute crab cupcakes are perfect for your celebration!Print
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 baking soda
- 3/4 C buttermilk
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat butter on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract to the butter …. beating until well combined.
- Add egg whites, and then eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beating on low speed until everything is mixed together.
- Add 1/3 C flour mixture to the wet mixture followed by adding 1/3 C of the buttermilk; add 1/3 C flour mixture again then add 1/3 C buttermilk mix on low speed, add 1/3 C of flour and add the rest of 1/3 C of buttermilk mix in low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the cupcake tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the cupcake tin and completely cool on a wire rack.
Homemade Frosting RecipePrint
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Red gel food coloring
- Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak.
- Add several drops of red gel food coloring….mix well…Make sure the red is the color that you want.
- If not add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time.
- Test to make sure that the frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a 13 inch round frosting tip…. twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Frost the cupcakes by starting at the outer edge of the cupcake in a circle until you reach the center of the cupcake….Build a second smaller swirl and then top it with a smaller third swirl…..Add 2 edible eyes to the center of this frosting dollop….Add 4 pieces of red cherry Twizzlers, pull’n’peel candy as the crabs legs.