I LOVE this recipe as a homemade alternative to jarred Alfredo sauces. It has much more flavor. However, it is probably not that low on calories. I’m thinking you could probably do okay with half of the butter if you want to save on calories without sacrificing too much of the flavor.Print
Add your favorite pasta, chicken, or spinach & mushrooms. Serve with a salad and garlic bread!
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup water, divided
- 12 ounces Parmesan or Romano cheese, freshly grated
- Melt butter and minced garlic in a large saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add flour and salt & pepper until the flour has almost completely absorbed the butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream and half of the water.
- Mix in the freshly grated cheese and additional water if necessary.