Onions are an important ingredient in many dishes. Countless recipes include chopped onions as an ingredient. I love to include onions in my recipes but I don’t like the sting in my eyes while I am cutting. Turning into a weeping mess while cooking is not what I call fun. There are a few ways you can reduce the sting and allow yourself to cut onions without tears. I’ve put together some of the best ways to chop onions without tears.
5 Ways to Cut Onions Without Crying
- Cut Onions Under Running Water: This is pretty self explanatory, just chop your onions under some running water. The running water redirects the onion vapors away from your eyes, leaving you tear-free.
- Soak Onions: Although this method makes your onions slightly milder, it works well in many foods. Just soak your onion in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes and then chop it. The water absorbs the onion’s sulfuric compounds, making their taste more mild and taking away the chemical release that causes your eyes to sting.
- Freeze Onions: For this method, just pop your onion in the freezer for 15 minutes before you cut it. The cold keeps the onion from releasing it’s eye irritating chemicals.
- Cut Onions Under a Vent: If your kitchen has a good overhead fan, you can easily keep tears away. Just turn it on and chop your onions underneath it. The fan redirects the fumes to it and away from your eyes.
- Wear Goggles When Cutting Onions: If none of the above methods work out for you or you just have no tolerance for the onion’s stinging effects, try a pair of goggles. While there are goggles made specifically for cutting onions, a pair of cheap swim goggles work just as well. This method keeps the fumes out of your eyes completely.
Do your eyes water or sting when cutting onions? Do you just power through it or do you have any tips to reduce the tears?
Did you enjoy this post? Find more money saving tips here.