This July 1, 2012 brought a new change for Indiana restaurant and bar owners. Most venues have been forced or opted-in to go smoke-free due to a new State Law that prohibits smoking in all restaurants. Personally, I am somewhat happy for the new law because I am not a smoker and never have been. It’s frustrating to visit some of my favorite places and have the entire experience ruined by clouds of smoke. The smoke stains my clothes, hurts my health, and gives me headaches. Most will argue- then don’t go back! But what if this were your place of employment every day and you were forced to sit and whiff cigarette and cigar smoke. Again- you might say- then get a new job.
I understand. I also understand that this law has made many of us feel like our freedoms are being taken away. I understand that argument as well, and I agree with that too. I agree that if they were to outlaw alcohol or sodas I would most likely be just as frustrated as the Indiana smokers are right now.
I simply do not agree with smoking though. Lucky for me, I’ve never been addicted to cigarettes, cigars, or tobacco so it’s easy for me to say I don’t like it and I don’t want to be around it. Second-hand smoke (inhaling environmental smoke) and third-hand smoke (toxins left on clothes and in hair) can be just as harmful or more harmful than first-hand smoking which is why I have a hard time being around smoke personally. I feel like it is my right to protect my own health. I choose not to smoke, but I still may be harmed by those who do choose to smoke. So if I can encourage people to quit, I sure will try.
From a Health & Fitness perspective, smoking cessation is one of the best things you can do to improve your health and the health of those around you. Here are some suggestions to help you quit smoking:
- Try electronic cigarettes
- Quit cold-turkey or Cut back over time Go all-in if you prefer, but remember that every bit helps
- Join a local or online support group
- Avoid places & people who influence your smoking for first month or so
- Write down how you feel about smoking and why you do it or maybe even what it costs (expensive habit!). As you attempt to cut back or quit, keep a journal or notes
- Seek outside help from a personal counselor or psychologist to help you learn more quitting strategies
Amazon has this Vapiri Electronic Cigarettes (Menthol, Deluxe) on sale for just $29.99. Plus find deals on refill cartridges.