As I was searching for a recipe idea for vegetarian taco salad mixture, I came across this delicious sounding recipe from Eating Well. I love that this mixture can be made ahead of time to save time for us busy families during the week.
While, I prefer it eat it without meat, I added taco ground beef to my husband’s salad along with the vegetarian rice mixture. It was a hit!
This is also a nice dinner to stay under 400 calories while getting 14 grams or so of protein and a high amount of vitamin C, iron, dietary fiber! I use Calorie Count to analysis my recipes.Print
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 5 tomatoes (I prefer Roma)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I use Minute Brown Rice)
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans (or use black beans or kidney!)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup salad
- Romaine Lettuce
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Onion, diced
- Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Strips
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add corn. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Coarsely chop two Roma tomatoes and add to the pan.
- Add rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, and salt to the pan and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and remaining oregano in a bowl. (Add your diced onions at this time. Or if you have a onion-phobe in your household, leave them on the side.)
- At this point you can combine all the ingredients including the cheese and the tortilla chips in a large bowl or you can leave it as a DIY Taco Bar, which is what I prefer to do.