As I was searching for a recipe idea for vegetarian taco salad mixture, I came across this delicious sounding recipe from Eating Well. I love that this mixture can be made ahead of time to save time for us busy families during the week.
While, I prefer it eat it without meat, I added taco ground beef to my husband’s salad along with the vegetarian rice mixture. It was a hit!
This is also a nice dinner to stay under 400 calories while getting 14 grams or so of protein and a high amount of vitamin C, iron, dietary fiber! I use Calorie Count to analysis my recipes.Print
Vegetarian Taco Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 5 tomatoes (I prefer Roma)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice (I use Minute Brown Rice)
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans (or use black beans or kidney!)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup salad
- Romaine Lettuce
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Onion, diced
- Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Strips
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add corn. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Coarsely chop two Roma tomatoes and add to the pan.
- Add rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano, and salt to the pan and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Coarsely chop remaining tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, salsa, and remaining oregano in a bowl. (Add your diced onions at this time. Or if you have a onion-phobe in your household, leave them on the side.)
- At this point you can combine all the ingredients including the cheese and the tortilla chips in a large bowl or you can leave it as a DIY Taco Bar, which is what I prefer to do.
View the Recipe Index for a complete list of recipes. For the most recent vegetarian recipes posted on the blog, go here. To view all the recipes post on the blog, go here.
flat iron reviews 2014
This post is really a nice one it helps new internet users, who are wishing for blogging.
how many servings in this recipe?
I think I used 6 servings but actually it was probably more like 8 the way I used it for salads! HTH!