This dish is great when you want a hearty meal but something still on the lighter and healthier side. This Slow Cooker Chicken & Sweet Potatoes brings tasty flavors that satisfy your need for “comfort food” without overtaxing your waistline. The combination of ingredients compliment fall weather beautifully and make a great quick weeknight meal or are perfect for a nice Sunday supper. Add less chicken and more sweet potatoes to make it even healthier, and reduce amount of brown sugar as well. The lightly sweet flavor means that everyone will clean their plates and come back for seconds.Print
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1–2 sweet potatoes
- 1 apple
- ½ onion
- 2 T. brown sugar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. garlic minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Use sharpie to label bag before filling.
- Peel, and chop sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Peel and finely chop apple.
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- In gallon sized bag combine chicken broth, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper -whisk in bag or seal bag and shake to combine.
- Add chicken, apple, sweet potato, onion, and seasonings.
- Smooth air from bag, seal well.
- Wipe off outside of bag well.
- Thaw bag completely in the fridge overnight or in sink for a several hours, be careful to not allow freezer bag to come to room temperature.
- Coat slow cooker well with nonstick spray.
- Add contents to slow cooker, stir to combine well.