Quinoa has been called a superfood and it’s one of my favorites! It is a complete protein and is also a good source of dietary fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron. For those of you that are gluten-free, you know that you can enjoy this gluten-free “grain.” This recipe can easily be a gluten-free recipe as long as you pay attention to the label of the canned beans and apple cider vinegar that you use.
The first time I had this particular recipe, my aunt had made it for us while we were visiting her in Florida. She wanted a side dish that the vegetarians could enjoy! I’m pretty sure everyone who ate it enjoyed it and it is evident at my house that this is a popular recipe. Use as a side dish or you can add it to a salad and top with salmon for a delicious dinner! I have already made two batches of this recipe at our house since I got my hands on her recipe and luckily I have cilantro in my garden that is ready so I don’t have to try to track this down at my local grocery store!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinse or 1½ cups cooked homemade black beans
- 1½ cups corn, cooked
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- Bring water to a boil. Then stir in the quinoa. Return to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together in a small bowl while the quinoa is cooking. After combined, add lime juice, salt, and cumin and blend.
- Add quinoa to a serving bowl, then add in beans, corn, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Combine the vinaigrette dressing with the mixture and stir until all is coated.
- Serve warm or cold!