This post may contain affiliate links.
Quinoa has been called a superfood and it’s one of my favorites! It is a complete protein and is also a good source of dietary fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron. For those of you that are gluten-free, you know that you can enjoy this gluten-free “grain.” This recipe can easily be a gluten-free recipe as long as you pay attention to the label of the canned beans and apple cider vinegar that you use.
The first time I had this particular recipe, my aunt had made it for us while we were visiting her in Florida. She wanted a side dish that the vegetarians could enjoy. I’m pretty sure everyone who ate it enjoyed it and it is evident at my house that this is a popular recipe. Use as a side dish or you can add it to a salad and top with salmon for a delicious dinner. I have already made numerous batches of this recipe since I got my hands on her recipe. I have cilantro in my garden that is ready so I don’t have to try to track this down at my local grocery store.
This recipe is good cold or hot. Either way is absolutely delicious! I’ve also substituted red and yellow bell peppers for the green bell peppers.Print
This healthy Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe is delicious hot or cold! It makes for a great main dish for a vegetarian dinner or as a complementary side dish. It is also gluten free made with your own homemade dressing!
For the Quinoa Mixture
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinse or 1½ cups cooked homemade black beans
- 1½ cups corn, cooked
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
For the Dressing
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Bring water to a boil. Then stir in the quinoa. Return to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for approximately 25-30 minutes.
- Whisk the vinegar and oil together in a small bowl while the quinoa is cooking. After combined, add lime juice, salt, and cumin and blend.
- Add quinoa to a serving bowl, then add in beans, corn, bell pepper, and cilantro.
- Combine the vinaigrette dressing with the mixture and stir until all is coated.
- Serve warm or cold!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 603mg
- Fat: 20.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 0mg