If you look at the back of a packet for taco seasoning, you will see a bunch of words you can’t pronounce. This homemade taco seasoning mix is so simple to make and much healthier for your family. The health consideration is a big benefit but it is much cheaper to make your own taco seasoning from scratch then paying for the seasoning at the store.
When you make your own, you can also control the spiciness of your seasoning. If you like it more spicy, add more chili powder and cayenne pepper. You can even add red pepper flakes if you want to spice it up even more. Double, triple, or quadruple this recipe so you will have plenty in your pantry and save yourself time in the future. I like to store mine in a small OXO container with a inexpensive scoop I purchased from a dollar type store.
My family loves this mixture and complimented the taste of the tacos I made before I even unveiled to them it was a homemade spice mixture. I also like to make 3-4 pounds of ground beef at one time and freeze one pound portions to make it a easy weeknight dinner.Print
This is so easy! Double or triple the recipe and keep in a air tight container for future use!
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients together. I put all the ingredients in a container and just shook the container to mix it.
- Use 1.5 tablespoons per one pound of ground beef. I also added about a 1/2 cup of water per one pound of ground beef for the mixture.
- Adjust seasoning to your own taste.
Next time you cook ground beef, double or triple the recipe. Freeze the extras and thaw for a quick dinner.