Avoiding crowds during the holidays and sticking to my budget are two of my goals during the holiday season. When you have a large list of people you would like to celebrate the holiday with by giving gifts, it can be expensive. You can still stick to your budget for the holidays with inexpensive DIY gifts.
Get your jars here: Purchase jars for DIY gifts in jars.
Sticking to a tight budget can be extremely important for college students. When you are short on time and cash, an inexpensive homemade gift option can be something as simple as an easy to make gift in an jar, homemade treats, or a tie blanket made with a favorite sports team. It is easy to make a gift in a jar like S’mores Cookies. You will just need a few inexpensive ingredients along with a mason jar. Print out our free printable with baking directions and you have an easy gift. You can also hand write the directions on a card to include with your gift.Print
- 1 sleeve graham crackers (1 cup)
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Directions for Jar Gift
- Break graham crackers up into large pieces and place in food processor or coffee grinder and process until crumbs are fine-almost like flour(or you can buy a box of crumbs in the baking aisle).
- In a medium bowl stir together all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Layer ingredients in quart mason jar in this order- flour mixture, graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips, marshmallows.
- Halfway through you will need to mash down your ingredients and again at the top, it is a tight fit. If you wish you can put marshmallows in a separate bag to avoid smashing them.
- To dress up my jar a little I wrapped the ring in twine, and cut a piece of patterned paper to the size of the lid. I wrote the baking directions on the back of the paper.
Directions for baking:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine jar contents with 1 ½ sticks of softened butter, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and 1 egg.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet 2” apart.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.
Find more holiday gifts in a jar ideas!
Did you enjoy this post? Find more money saving tips here.